Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Review - Qu: Sherwood

Posted on 11:11 AM by Casper

Rating: 7.3


“I am the favorite in a fight that I can’t win.”

On an album loaded with catchy tracks, Sherwood’s third release Qu (out October 13th on MySpace Records), has me tapping my toes and singing under my breath while I work on reports at my desk. Vocal harmonies and distortion saturated guitar solos hook you while the jazzy drums and lyrical synth hold you tight.

The lyrics are energetic and you’ll be singing along before you realize it. Peppy, upbeat tracks create a happy pop rock feel while the languid slow numbers opine about love and life. Qu, in its entirety, is an addictive and memorable collection of songs sure to have you bobbing your head and tapping your fingers on the steering wheel as you remember summer nights spent in the arms of your High School sweetheart.


Track by track review for Sherwood Qu:

Shelter – Perfectly displays Sherwood’s harmonic gift. At not even a minute long this is an nice little display of the vocal talent of the group.

Maybe This Time – I really enjoyed the percussive mimic of a rapidly beating clock as the intro to this song. The lyrics are empowering. This is a fun, poppy way to open the full length tracks for the album.

Hit the Bottom – Of all the songs on Qu, this is the song I see playing on Top 40 radio. The track is danceable, singable and is already stuck in my head. You’ll hear this song being hummed and sung by high school students the world around. It’s pretty hard not to get caught up in the chorus and in the breakdown in the middle of the song.

Make it Through – Charming rhythms and clear vocals in “Make it Through” will easily hook you. The song is relatively slowly paced but is still a fun, catchy tune.

You Are – Yet another song I could easily see, or hear as it were, playing on the loudspeakers at a High School dance or play during one of the awkward silent moments on The Hills. It’s still catchy as hell and fun to sing along with.

Ground Beneath My Feet – The very instant this track started I could not help but draw comparisons to The Fray. The use of the keys, even the vocals and lyric style all smack heavily of songs like “How to Save a Life.” After a slow intro, the song drops into a more driven style. It’s a good song and if you’re a fan of bands like The Fray, this is the track for you.

Around You – Another song that quickly had me comparing Sherwood to bands like The Fray. This number is genuine and romantic. Use this on your digital mixtape for your significant other.
What Are You Waiting For? – I suppose, in answer to the question posed by this song, I’m waiting for this song to really pick up. This is the first, but not last, example of a song where I expected the song to pick up/speed up/get better and it just never quite ended up where I was hoping it would.

Not Gonna Love – Easily my favourite track on this album. This is a catchy, inviting and thoroughly fun song. I was singing along by my second listen. From first taste I was absolutely enamored with “Not Gonna Love.” It had a classic rock feel with a twist. The drums had me feeling as though I had just finished watching The Breakfast Club or Say Anything. I wish this track had been placed earlier in the album, however.

Worn – This number is gentle and heartwarming. This song features a lovely female voice in a duet. “Worn” is the type of song you’ll love when you’re thinking about your significant other.

Free – Again featuring a driving emphasis on the keys, “Free” is a slow anthem. The message seems befitting of a more enthusiastic soundtrack but the slow steady pace of the song is still entertaining. This is one of those tracks when you expect that at any time the song will pick up. Unfortunately, it never does.

No Better – Ending the album is a slow piece detailing a story of divorce as told from the eyes of the child or children. The depressing subject matter is hard to fit into the rest of the album. The song is touching, though, and is one of those numbers you’ll undoubtedly belt at the top of your lungs when you’re feeling down.

---Casper Wood