Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Brothers Banned

Posted on 10:20 AM by Casper

Mstoc's first interview. Here we chat with Lyle Puente of My Brothers Banned.

-My Brothers Banned, very quirky and a great play on words. Where did you come up with your band name and is there some meaning behind it?

When the banned started, my brother played drums and a brother sister duo were part of the group.
We laughed about naming ourselves after the sibling factor.
We thought band, but it was taken. The word Banned came up and I though whoooaaaa, this is so much better. Playing gigs is pretty funny watching the door people ask who people are here to see. It's quickly and Abbot and Costello routine.
My brother and the brother sister team have since moved on. Perhaps making the name prophetic? Haha

- Who are some of your musical influences?

I adore harmony and melody. The sound of the Byrds, particularly with Gram Parsons.
Gram Parsons is a huge influence as well. I love Big Star and the effect they had one bands like REM, Teenage Fanclub and the Bangles. The Beatlesque melodies of Oasis make me very happy. The lush harmonies of the "Mamas and the Papas"! The British band Gomez is one of my favorites too. Listening to them taught me so much.


- Do you have a certain theme or feel for your current album?

"Everyone's Banned" I just released and the feel was meant to convey a lush embrace of sonic texture and mood.
I kept the overall mood less dynamic, less concerned with huge energy, to try and create a constant subtle environment.
The next album, "Banned Wagon" will be more about using energy and be a little louder.

- Describe your sound/genre.

I suspect with the changing categories any attempt on my part would be inaccurate.
I like to pretend that my production techniques provide me with a.... what if Phil Spector and Brian Eno had a baby. I Love the wall of sound type of approach, but also love creating new sounds as sculptures that move, have color, and are new.

- What would you like to accomplish or achieve with your music?

I'd just like to be able to keep doing this.
I love it, am very disciplined and hope to find a place in the world.

- What is your creative process like?

Writing is an easy laid back approach.
I have a dedicated writing space where I sit with an acoustic 12 string guitar.
I will just start playing and then write it down before I forget.
Most songs come out fast. Rachel was complete in a few minutes, Turn around more labored over with time. Sometimes they need to grow.
The timing can be odd in many songs. Rachael being a good example.
There are two extra beats in each line of the verse.
I considered this a separation of the way each line lyric is staccato then elongated and held. This can present a challenge when recording if the structure isn't understood.


Recording is more exploratory, with a full work day year round kind of thing.
I boot up about 8 am and boot down about 11 p.m.. There is less a time frame on completion that a focus on working.
First come rough tracks to establish a baseline, then the building commences.
Sometimes playing with an old moog and crafting a noise that will meld with a guitar intro melody means a good day here.
Sometimes it works backwards and my brother will come in with drums long after the rest is complete. For me thats a nice way to work, because it does set the pace so much as ices the cake. This allows my brother more space to create something other than a set of building blocks.

- What instruments do you use (technical specs for the nerds)?

I use all of them. I have tried to have representation of everything that makes noise divided in families. I currently lack a french horn. Its one of my very favorites and is high on the desired acquisitions list. I try to learn instruments enough to make me happy, but far from very well.
All songs are based with my 12 string guitar, then I add what ever I think will add to the song.
I often use mandolin, banjo, piano, cello, accordion, melodica, lap steel, flute, saxophone and am very fond of old synths. I keep a pail of broken glass too. That has become one of my favorite percussion sounds.
My favorite guitar is a Strat with a Humbucker in the bridge. The tremolo bar brings me great joy. It is my drug of choice.

- If you could jam with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?

My great grandfather, who played the mandolin.

- What's on your MP3 player currently?

A mix with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Oasis, old 97's, the Shins, Modest Mouse and Regina Spektor.

- Any upcoming concert events or releases?

Both. We are playing the NYC marathon this November and then retreat back into the studio. I planned 3 album and 3 EP releases in 12 months.
The first being out later this week. "Everyone's Banned". Its up on CDbaby.com now, itunes later in the week.
The EP "For you in December, and the album "Banned Wagon" in January.


-Who are the members of your band or contributing artists and their roles?

The roles vary greatly. The "Everyone's Banned" release features my brother Eric Puente on drums, Quinn Murphy on bass and Hilary Levit singing harmony with me.

- Any final thoughts, shoutouts, tips or words of advice?

I like our world very much.


You can find out more about My Brothers Banned, the albums or listen and purchase music at
http://www.myspace.com/mybrothersbanned
Or at
http://www.mybrothersbanned.com